Thanks to Black + Decker and their “Your Big Finish” giveaway for sponsoring this post!
As you can see, I have written out a to-do list consisting of half-finished projects and projects I have put off doing – all in hopes of completing it before Christmas! A couple of these are a little lofty (framing and hanging pegboard? Painting a giant clay pot… when it’s 32 degrees outside?) but dang it, I’m going to try!
Why am I doing this? Black + Decker is sponsoring a contest called “Your Big Finish” to encourage people like me (and you!) to finish up one of their projects – or in my case, FIVE. I’ll talk more about that in a bit.
So, tonight I went on a fact-finding mission. I’m a planner. I don’t do too many spontaneous things. Of course, my first thought was Target. Duh.
1. Hang new curtains/buy new rods: About a year ago, a friend made some drapes for me. Six beautiful, gray and white Ikat patterned, blackout lined drapes. Where are they? On hangers in a closet. Why? Because the rods I have in the living room are too lightweight to hold these heavy curtains. Also, it hasn’t been at the top of my list to get finished – until now. I was going to wait until we moved next year (yes, we’re planning to move to Austin at some point next year, depending on employment and a place to live!) but I figured – why not enjoy them now? So yeah, I got to Target, ready to buy some new rods, and realized – whoops – I forgot to measure the window. Since I didn’t want to buy the wrong thing, I settled for taking some pictures!
(I really liked the “Room Darkening” rod because it sits flat against the wall, but I fail to see how a curtain rod can darken a room. I studied that for a while and decided to just like them for their looks!)
2. Paint pot on front porch/make rolling platform: I already know what paint color I’m going to use, and I have all of the materials to make the platform. If the weather cooperates in the next week or so, I can whip that out quickly! PS: The pot is HUGE. It held a somewhat large fiddle leaf fig before.
3. Hang gallery wall (finally!): I keep going back and forth on how big I want to go and what exactly I want to include. Right now I’m leaning towards quotes and drawings rather than photographs of my friends and family, so I need to think about that for a little bit before committing to it. Again, I have all of the things I need for it – I just need to make the final decision on WHAT to put in the frames. Tonight I found a couple of cute items that I would like to add to the collection!
I love both of these!
4. Hang pegboard in craft room/frame it in: This is the one I’m most scared of and hesitant to do. I have the pegboard, but it is a very large sheet of it and I will need to cut it down. I know that once I get it hung, I will love it and regret not doing it sooner, so I will get this one done for sure!
5. Paint and refurbish Goodwill lamp/buy new lampshade: A few years ago (I told you I procrastinate), my sister and I were at Goodwill and we both saw this lamp. I won and got to take it home. In my defense, I have TRIED to find a shade that works with it in its current state (white) but the shape of the lamp makes it difficult to find one that looks good. The closest thing I have seen like it is the lamp that Sonya from At Home with the Barkers refurbished – but mine is larger. Looking at her post gives me hope that I, too, can find the perfect shade for my lamp! I know what I want to do with the base of the lamp and have the supplies.
(Sonya’s lamp – link)
So, there you have it. I’m going to keep you updated on my progress throughout the next few weeks, and I really am excited about getting these things checked off my list!
Now, I said I was going to tell you more about the Black + Decker “Your Big Finish” contest!
BLACK+DECKER has launched a movement to get all the unfinished home projects moving again. Join them for the opportunity to win $10,000 cash and products. Plus, they might put you and your finished project on a billboard right in the middle of Times Square. So while your family may never notice that you finished hanging the crown molding, millions of others will!
For this campaign, there are Weekly Prizes, at approximately $439.91 per prize, and one Grand Prize of $10,000. The Weekly Prizes include one of each of the following:
BLACK+DECKER prize package comprised of one (1) of each of the following:
• BDCDE120C 20V MAX* Lithium Drill/Driver with AutoSense™
• BDEMS600 Mouse Sander
• BDCS40BI 4V MAX* Lithium Pivot Screwdriver
• BDCDCMT120 Matrix 20V MAX* Lithium Drill/Driver
• LCS1020 20V MAX* Chainsaw
• BDCMTRS Matrix Reciprocating Saw Attachment
• BDCMTI Matrix Impact Driver Attachment
To enter, visit the campaign landing page, and enter your First Name, Last Initial, Email, City, State, Phone and upload a photo of yourself and your completed project!
Please note, the contest ends December 28th, 2014.
Also, visit the Finished Project Gallery to browse the other entries and get inspiration for your own projects!
Go ahead, enter the contest – what could it hurt? You don’t have to have a fancy photo or difficult project – heck, it could be that you finally replaced that loose doorknob or you finally hung up that picture you’ve been meaning to hang up for years!
Many thanks to BLACK+DECKER for sponsoring today’s story and inspiring me to finish these projects!