The other day, I was walking through a craft store – no big surprise there – and had a lightbulb moment. I had just completed a pretty labor intensive embroidery project, but didn’t know what I was going to do with it or how I was going to display it! While wandering down the chipboard aisle, I spotted some plaques that were 50% off (WHAT), so I grabbed 2. I always buy in even numbers. I walked down a couple more aisles, and found myself back at the chipboard again – I knew it must be fate, so I grabbed 2 more. Looking back, I should have gotten all of them, but I held back. At $2 each, I knew they could make a big statement…
On my new GALLERY WALL, y’all.
Yes, I’m about 5 years behind on this trend, but whatever. I don’t like the house we are renting, so I’ve never really put much effort into decorating it. However, this stuff is awesome so I’m gonna do it anyway! Who knows, maybe it will make me like this house a little bit more (doubtful).
I picked up a few other things that I needed (ALSO on sale!) and left before I found more stuff. I spent a total of $10 on this project, and I’m on a very strict budget right now – so this project was perfect. I had the urge to craft and not much money to do it with.
First of all, I took a black Sharpie to the edges of the chipboard plaques. It’s not necessary, but I thought it would look pretty cool (it does). These particular plaques were pretty thick, probably 1/4″. Of course, after I finish the edges, I think about how much cooler it would have been had I glittered them – but that would have taken more time and made a huge mess. Maybe later. No, they don’t have to be perfect (obviously).
The next step was cutting the paper. As you know, I am not facing any kind of paper shortage in my house. If there is one room in this house that I love, it’s my precious craft room. What’s my favorite thing to buy at craft stores? Paper. So yeah, I have a ton. It took me longer to pick out the paper than it did to do the whole project, no lie. What you DON’T see here are the ones I messed up and had to trace in 2 different colors so I didn’t cut the wrong one. You’re welcome! Anyway, I traced the chipboard shape and cut the paper for all 4. These chipboard shapes are about 8×11, so each one used one 12×12 sheet of scrapbook paper.
I bet you know what’s coming next – the Mod Podge. I poured a little out (for my homies) and used a foam brush to spread it out in a thin layer. Then I put the paper on as perfectly as I could and smoothed it out a little bit. I did that with all 4 and then put a thin layer of Mod Podge over the tops of each one. Side note: You know when your Mod Podge gets a goopy layer of stringy glue around the edge of the lid? That’s my favorite. It grosses me out but I love pulling it away from the container. It’s really weird, and I thought my husband was going to be ill when he saw what I was doing. Maybe it’s just a Heather thing? Yes? I assume you have all used Mod Podge at some point in your lives, so you’ll also understand why I almost had to slap my husband’s hand when he tried to smooth out the ripples. They flatten out on their own, man!
While those were drying, I opened up the bag of cute little clothespins I bought. I was originally going to use regular size clothespins, but the cuteness overtook me and I lost all control, right there in the Michaels aisle. They’re not miniature, but they’re not normal size either. I had some glitter tape from the Dollar Spot in Target (it gets me every time) so I covered the top of 4 clothespins with it and cut it to size. Again, actual glitter would look perfect, but this was less messy and less time consuming!
The next day, I glued the glitter clothespins onto each plaque – some will hang horizontally, and some will hang vertically. The backs of these particular chipboard plaques have holes for hanging, so pay attention to that when gluing the clothespins on (uh, I didn’t realize this until I was typing this post)!
I just love these inexpensive clothespin frames – I can switch out the pictures as often as I want to, AND they were so simple to put together. That’s pretty perfect in my eyes!
This is the first *complete* project for my gallery wall. I’m waiting on one little shipment this week and then another part will be complete – then it will be time to put it ALL together (I’m a little nervous and afraid I’m going to totally overthink it) and share it with y’all!