I’ve been making French Onion Chicken for many, many years now. Sometimes I will get the craziest craving for it (tonight, for example!) and won’t be able to stop thinking about it until I make it. The rice has the BEST flavor… I’ve often wondered if I could just make the rice and not even worry about the chicken – because that’s what I really love about this recipe. The rice, the rice, the rice.
I started making this back when my husband (then boyfriend) moved in together. This was one of those “I’m going to impress him” meals – and it worked, I guess, because he’s still hanging around! I used to have to drain the onions for his half, but he’s grown up and realized that they really do add flavor to the chicken and rice. Enjoy!
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 cup Minute Rice
- 1 stick margarine or butter
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
- 1 can French Onion soup
- 1/2 can milk
- Melt the margarine in a 9×13 pan as the oven preheats to 350. Once it is melted and the oven is preheated, pour the dry, uncooked rice on top of the melted margarine and mix it together. Spread evenly across the bottom of the pan as best you can.
- Place the chicken breasts on top of the rice. Mix together the cream of mushroom soup + 1/2 can milk. Pour over chicken. Pour the French Onion soup over that.
- Bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes. Mine usually takes about 45.